Our Kaua`i Youth & Food Programs VISTAs build capacity within our Kaua`i School Garden Network and Ag Internship Program in order to create, streamline, and expand future opportunity for our Youth & Food programs across the island. We have 2 positions across the island; one for the north-central region, and one for the western region; with a rotating hiring schedule for one-year service periods. Our next onboarding date is September 3rd, 2019.
Work in a capacity-building framework across various Youth & Food Programs, including fundraising, grant-writing, volunteer recruitment/management, new resource development, and in-kind donation attainment. Program-specific duties depend on your assigned School Complex Area, but may include:
Build Capacity of the Kaua`i School Garden Network:
– Survey schools, perform site visits and build relationships to determine their needs and goals.
– Install and/or expand school garden programs within assigned School Complex Area.
– Assist in building school-based Committees and a volunteer base to maintain school gardens.
– Market resource listing for schools with information on possible guest speakers and partners, curriculum resources, and more.
– Help to organize “Farm-to-School Month” each October, with a variety of educational and fundraising events to support the KSGN.
Launch & Execute Ag Internship Program:
– Recruit local agriculture students to participate in program through hosting recruitment sessions at schools, flyering, outreach events, etc.
– Assist in program planning and development, including fundraising, in-kind donation attainment, speaker/field trip recruitment, and more.
– know how to have fun while working hard and balancing multiple priorities to reach goals.
– enjoy the outdoors as much as working on a computer, and thrive working independently.
– have a start-up attitude, self-motivation and personal drive to improve our food system and the lives of children.
– have previous agriculture and/or farming experience and knowledge.
– Ties to Hawaii, multi-cultural experience, or Hawaiian language abilities are a huge plus!
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
AmeriCorps VISTA is a year-long, full-time service opportunity through the Corporation for National & Community Service. You must be at least 18 to serve. Program Benefits Include:
– Bi-Weekly Living Allowance of $641.20
– Choice of $6,095 Education Award or $1,800 End of Service Stipend
– Healthcare Coverage
– Relocation Allowance, Student Loan Forbearance, and Childcare Assistance, if eligible
– Extensive training, networking, and professional development opportunities
AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a small subsistence allowance and should evaluate their financial situation to ensure that they are able to complete the full one-year term. The CNCS provides the living allowance to cover the cost of food, housing, and other basic necessities during service. The allowance is low because a VISTA member is expected to live at approximately the same economic level as the people they serve. You may attend school or have another part-time job during service, but will be expected to work on a full-time basis in this program.
TO APPLY: send your resume to Megan Fox, email@example.com