Founded in 2006, Malama Kaua’i is a community-based, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that focuses on advocating, educating, and driving action towards a sustainable Kaua’i. We consider the interrelatedness of all issues and the need for a holistic approach, with a focus on three primary areas:
‘Aina. We are rooted in the core value of aloha ‘aina (love and connection to the land). We create solutions that foster sustainability and work in harmony with nature while producing abundant, healthy and local food.
Community. We care for our children, our economy, our society and our island’s future. We envision a Kaua’i where people enjoy a high quality of life and the sense of community is strong.
Culture. We are built on healthy relationships with each other and our kinship with the land. We respect and perpetuate the local culture and indigenous wisdom of our ancestors.
AWARDS & HONORS:
Malama Kauai has been recognized with green awards and honorable mentions. Below are a few of them.
- 2016 1st Place Community Service Category for International Master Gardener Search for Excellence for Village Harvest
- 2016 Local Hero Award – Best Kaua`i Non-profit in the Local Food Movement – Edible Hawaiian Islands Magazine
- 2014 Good Food Organization – James Beard Foundation and Food Tank
- 2013 Spirit Award for Green Organization – For Kauai Magazine
- 2011 Local Hero Award – Best Non-profit in the Local Food Movement Statewide – Edible Hawaiian Islands Magazine
- 2011 Best Non-profit Award – Kauai County Council