Date(s) - 08/25/2019
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Mālama Kaua‘i Community Farm
AgriCulture & Technology
10:00am: Kanaka Maoli AgriCulture & Microbiomes of Hawaii with Dr. Kiana Frank
Dr. Frank will be diving into her research integrating molecular biology, bioenergetics, geochemistry, and culture.
11:15a – 12:00p: Farmer & Scientist Partnerships with Nick Reppun of Kakoo Oiwi
Nick, Farm Manager at Kakoo Oiwi community farm in Koolau, Oahu has worked with Dr. Frank in conducting on-farm experimentation and observations to better understand the indigenous microbial life of wetlands & soils in Hawaii. He grew up on the Reppun family’s diversified taro farm in Waiahole, has a degree in agriculture and has studied farming practices around the world. In addition to organically growing taro and other crops, Nick integrates sheep into his farm systems and works with value added producers to expand the marketing, usage and distribution of local grown products. Nick will be speaking from a lifetime of experience about the integration of innovative systems, community and science on larger family & community farms.
1:00p – 1:45p: Risk Management in Hawaii with AgriLogic
Producers often deal with perils outside their control that can result in a financial burden due to a decrease in crop yield or revenue. AgriLogic will cover how to manage these risks with crop insurance and the eligibility requirements, application deadlines, and agent contact information for these programs.
2:00p – 2:45p: Record-keeping: Simple Tips for Getting it Done with GoFarm Agribusiness Consulting and The Kohala Center
Erik Shimizu and Eric Bowman will discuss various record keeping involved with Farm Planning and Bookkeeping and cover some tech options that can simplify these important tasks.
3:00p – 3:45p: Grants, Reimbursement Programs, & Low-Interest Loans
Jenna Dunn of USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service and Megan Blazack from The Kohala Center will review various financially-supporting programs available for farmers and how to begin the processes.
4:00p – 4:45p: TBD
5:00p – 6:00p: Buyers Panel
Representatives from the Kauai Store, Foodland, and other wholesale product buyers will share what they and their customers are seeking for local products, how to work with them, what their most successful farm clients do, and more.
1on1 CONSULTING SESSIONS INCLUDE:
Enjoy free one-on-one time with various service providers to specifically address your questions, concerns, and needs. Bring pictures, samples, or your laptop for these hands-on sessions designed to help strengthen your specific business.
11:15a – 12:00p: TBD
1:00p – 1:45p: Farmer & Scientist Partnerships
Following their sessions, Dr. Kiana Frank and Nick Reppun will be on hand to talk story about their projects and advice.
2:00p – 2:45p: Business Planning
3:00p – 3:45p: Accounting & Bookkeeping
Erik Shimizu from GoFarm Agribusiness Consulting and Eric Bowman from The Kohala Center will be available to support farmers with their individualized questions on finances and record keeping.
4:00p – 4:45p: Financing & Loan Programs
The Kohala Center staff will be on hand to help with preparing for USDA grant applications and the 0% interest Hawaii Food Producers Fund / KIVA Loan. USDA Farm Service Agency and USDA NRCS will offer assistance in understanding and applying for their various reimbursement, cost-share and loan programs.
5:00p – 6:00p: Animal & Livestock Support Services
CTAHR Cooperative Extension Services’ Livestock Extension Agent, Savannah Katulski, will be on hand and specializes in grazing and range management.
OTHER ACTIVITIES & VENDORS:
- Farm Supply Swap Tent – Bring something to share and take something home new to you, including seeds, propagation materials, tools, pots, or whatever else!
- Agrilogic – Get information on crop insurance and disaster programs that can help to ensure the changing times ahead donʻt impact your farmʻs bottom line.
- CTAHR Cooperative Extension Services – Extension Agents will be on hand to answer your questions and share information on a variety of ag topics.
- USDA Farm Service Agency – Learn about their wide variety of free reimbursement and low-interest loan programs available for farmers
- The Kohala Center – Get assistance with a variety of services, including technical assistance with applying for loans and grants.
- North Shore Economic Vitality Partnership – Gain information on their GroupGAP program and other farm and food safety tips.
FOOD & BEVERAGES:
- OnoPops – Delicious gourmet popsicles made in Hawaii using the best organic and local ingredients.
- GK Pantry – Cold drinks featuring locally grown fruit and organic fruit syrups made on Kauai.
- My Kauai Honey – Farmers market vegan curry bowls & more TBD.