Mālama Kaua‘i is looking for an intern to support lunch service and the maintenance and growth of an edible schoolyard for Mala‘ai Kula, Kaua‘i’s Hawaiian Charter School Farm-to-School Pilot. This role is primarily hands-on, working on agriculture projects and serving students, with opportunities to get involved with administrative projects. Duties include:
- Assisting with farm-to-table lunch service (perk – free, locally-produced lunch!)
- Garden and orchard maintenance
- Harvesting produce for use in school lunches
- Building and irrigation projects
- Assisting with garden curriculum integration, and helping teachers with garden classes
- Comfortable with and excited about working outside
- Experience working with children is a plus
- Local applicants must be 18+ and income eligible.
For income-eligible Kaua‘i residents of Hawaiian descent, the position is 6-8 weeks up to 40 hrs/ week at $10.10 per hour. ____________________________________
For off-island applicants, this position is available as an unpaid internship. Off-island applicants must be able to financially secure housing and travel on island (best fit for students who have a for-credit paid internship program through their school, internship scholarship/stipend, etc.) Hours per week are flexible within the timeframe of M-F 8a-4:30p.
Please send us an email with a note on why you’re interested in this opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org