Research & Papers
- School Garden Guide (2017). A brief how-to on setting up your school’s garden program with the Kaua’i School Garden Network. Download the School Garden Guide.
- Off-Grid Solar PV & Internet Systems: Affordable Models that Meet Rural Needs and Enhance Connectivity (2016). In this paper, Patel College of Global Sustainability Research Intern Kelley Cureton examines Kaua`i’s off-grid solar and internet systems, and offers funding opportunities to help farmers and rural residents acquire needed systems and upgrades. Available upon request.
- Natural Resources Career Pathways: A Guide to Kauai’s Community Resources (2015). This resource guide for Kaua`i educators, parents, and students offers over 40 community resource profiles offering assistance to students seeking future careers in the Natural Resources carer pathway; one of the six identified by the DOE as core areas of economic growth for today’s youth. The guide offers a multitude of guest speakers and mentors, internship/volunteer opportunities, educational options, career pathway maps, and more. Download the NRCPResourceGuide.
- North Shore Water Study
Under the direction of Dr. Mehana Blaich-Vaughan, Mālama Kaua‘i received a grant to create enhanced understanding of muliwai and steam systems and ma uka and ma kai relations. The project aims to restore the community’s ability to assess stream health and knowledge as to whether it is safe to enter the water, without sampling. The project will also provide data to help implement proper policies to improve watershed health and decrease pollutants in the bays where people love to swim, fish and surf. Funds for the program were provided by the NOAA Office of National Marine Sanctuaries Pacific Island Region and will be administered by Honua Consulting.
- Kaua‘i Agricultural Study (2009) (Low Res 6mb / High Res 17mb)
Diversified, Localized, and Sustainable Agriculture on Kaua`i: Assessing Opportunities and Addressing Barriers – This 163-page, detailed study looks at water, land, labor, distribution, marketing and many other primary topic areas that affect the viability of agriculture on Kaua‘i.
- Kaua‘i Farm Directory (2009)
An island wide directory of farms including what they produce by season and how to contact them. North Shore Edition available for download.
- North Shore Farm Systems Study
To reduce the island’s vulnerability to fluxes in energy, transportation, and import prices, to build a resilient community, and to further develop Kaua‘i’s agricultural industry, we must understand the challenges facing current food growers. The findings presented were compiled from 20 one-on-one interviews with small-scale food producers on Kaua‘i’s North Shore, as well as others involved in the food system chain, including chefs, restaurant owners, and specialists statewide.
- 2018 Village Harvest Annual Program Report
- 3rd Quarter (3/17-5/17) Village Harvest Expansion Progress Report
- 2nd Quarter (12/16-2/17) Village Harvest Expansion Progress Report
- 2016 Malama Kaua`i Annual Report
- 2016 Ag Internship Program Report
- 1st Quarter (9/16-11/16) Village Harvest Expansion Progress Report
- 2014-2016 Village Harvest Pilot Report
- 2015 Kaua`i Youth & Food Programs Annual Report
- 2015 Kaua`i Ag Internship Program Pilot Report
- 2014 Roots of Kaua`i Green Careers Certificate Pilot Report