Ceviche has been on my mind lately – I figure because I’ve been cooking for large groups and this beautiful cold fish dish is so fresh and beautiful, I have a hard time NOT making it. So here’s another version – this one is a fun combination of colors, spices and utilizes an inexpensive fish – Hebi.
I used 7 lbs of fish for this dish, but obviously use what you have and adjust the additions.
Here’s what I did –
- Cut fish into square chunks
- to your fish add zest of 1 lemon or lime
- to your fish add juice of 1 lemon, 1 lime and 1 orange – or more juice to cover
- 1/2 white onion cut into slivers (I used a mandoline)
- handful of sliced grape tomatoes
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup loosely backed thai basil
- dash of dried chili flakes – or 1 small fresh chili (or omit entirely).
Combine all and allow to sit for a couple hours before serving – can do 1 day ahead. Serve with blue corn tortilla chips and a nice green salad.