Malama Kauai is a 501c3 non-profit organization that has been serving the Kauai Community for over 12 years related to building resiliency and sustainability. Please see below for ways to obtain information, offer support or be supported related to Kauai flood efforts:
REAL TIME UPDATES:
ONLINE DONATION OPTION
RELIEF VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
- Facebook Malama Kauai Volunteers Group – communities connecting communities
- Transportation sign-up (cars/trucks, heavy equipment, etc.) – you can sign up to this list, which is available to key work day and logistics organizers
- Temporary Housing sign-up – you can sign up to this list if you’re offering housing; those assisting with temporary housing have access to this sheet
- Volunteers interested in getting activated in the affected areas on work crews should report to Hanalei Courthouse starting at 7:30a Mon-Sat to join organized work crews
- Volunteers available to help with warehousing, transportation, and administrative support can report to Common Ground in Kilauea at 9am, Mon-Fri
- Anahola Taro Patch Work Day is being held on Saturday, May 19th from 9am to dusk
FOOD & MEALS:
- Haena: YMCA Camp in Haena opens for food distribution from 9am to 4pm daily and hosts dinner. Breakfast is being served at Opakapaka at Hanalei Colony Resort in Haena.
- Hanalei: Dinner at the Hanalei Courthouse at 5pm until further notice, and food pantry distribution at St. Williams 10-2 M/W/F.
- East Side: Regular food pantry hours are still available at U-Turn.
- Non-Perishable Food Donations: Please bring to Hawaii Foodbank – Kauai Branch in Puhi Industrial Center; it’s getting distributed throughout the island when/where people need it. No water is needed unless it is large 5+ gallon jugs.
- Mahi’ai rebuilding efforts, info on financial support for farmers on Kaua’i contact Naoshi Grady: (808) 828-0685 x15. Informational meeting and Mini-Grant Info available at Farmer Meeting at Waipa at 5:30pm on Wednesday, May 16th.
- USDA Farm Service Agency has a variety of programs available for farmers; visit the Lihue FSA Service Center, Watumull Building, 4334 Rice Street, Room 206, Lihue, HI 96766; and call (808) 245-9014 Ext. 2 for more info
MK COMMUNITY LEADS:
For coordination within communities for affected residents only:
- Wainiha/Haena: Mahina Laughlin (general)
- Hanalei: Hanalei Courthouse (volunteering), St. Williams (food pantry/supply distribution), Megan Wong (home cleanup), Hale Halawai (social services)
- Kalihiwai: Maile Walters (general), Yoshi L‘Hote (construction)
- East Side: Lorilani Keohokalole-Torio (general), Lyle Robinson (support)
- Koloa: Teddy Blake
COMMUNITY, FINANCIAL, & SOCIAL SERVICES:
Many social services are available in-person at Hale Halawai in Hanalei. Other resources available for affected community members include:
- Federal Government: Be sure to report damages to FEMA HERE to help with the FEMA appeal
- County & State Government Services: Please see complete listing – Link to the PDF
- If you’re in need of temporary housing or relocation call the MK Housing Match-up Hotline at (808) 828-0685 x22
- Individuals with Federal Housing Administration (FHA) – insured mortgages at risk of foreclosure because of the disaster may stop or delay foreclosure by 90 days. Click HERE determine if you qualify for the foreclosure moratorium.
- Conventional mortgage holders should contact their lenders directly to determine their options.
- Those who have lost their homes and are in the process of buying or rebuilding another home can receive mortgage insurance from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). For more information, click HERE.
- If you are experiencing disaster-related housing issues, please consider contacting HAWAIIAN COMMUNITY ASSETS’ ANAHOLA BRANCH at 808-632-2070
- Financial Assistance: Kaua‘i Economic Opportunity (KEO); (808) 245-4077
- Cleanup & Rebuilding Work Crew Support:
- Legal Assistance: The Kaua‘i Bar Association and Legal Aid Society of Hawai‘i are offering two legal clinics where attorneys will offer legal assistance to those affected by the floods: at Koloa Neighborhood Center on Friday, May 18th, from 3pm-6pm and in Hanalei at Hale Halawai on Thursday, May 24th, from 9am-3pm
- A tax deductible donation to Malama Kaua‘i can be made online here or via mail to:
Malama Kaua‘i, P.O. Box 1414, Kilauea, HI 96754, with the Check memo: Flood Relief
- If you would like to talk with someone directly about fundraising, please contact Board Chair Keone Kealoha at (808) 828-0685 x14 or by email at email@example.com