In 2018, we launched a new pilot program aimed at supporting minority farmers and ranchers through a monthly workshop series and one-on-one technical assistance services. We also began hosting an annual Kauai Farmers Expo and delivering a monthly Kauai Farm News e-newsletter.
This was in response to over a decade of working with farmers on Kauai to understand their needs, and the program was designed in direct response to our 2017 Kauai Farmer Survey.
Download a copy of our Program Overview & Client Application for more info or attend one of our monthly workshops.
For more information on this program contact:
Mahi‘ai Technical Assistance Program Manager
(808) 828-0685 x15
UNDER CONSTRUCTION – MORE COMING SOON
Other Technical Assistance Resources for Kaua‘i Farmers:
- GoFarm Hawai‘i – GoFarm offers educational programs and free AgBusiness consulting that helps people in agriculture by helping with business planning, marketing, financial analysis, and other guidance designed to launch businesses and products, lower costs, and increase sales.
- Small Business Development Center – Hawai‘i SBDC provides professional business advice, research and training to business owners and new entrepreneurs in order to promote growth, innovation, productivity and management improvement.
- CTAHR Cooperative Extension Service – CTAHR’s CES program providing science-based information and educational programs in agriculture, natural resources, and human resources. Some of their services include individual consultations, soil testing, and sharing agricultural research.
- Kaua‘i County USDA Farm Service Agency – Provides a variety of farm programs, grants and loans including Organic Certification Reimbursement, Conservation Reserve Program (CRP), Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program, and more.
- USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) – Offers a variety of reimbursement programs for conservation-related projects on ag land, including agroforestry, irrigation improvements, & more.
- HDoA Agriculture, Aquaculture & Livestock Support Services –
Kaua‘i Food-Based Farming Associations:
- Hawaii Farmers Union United, Kauai Chapter
- Kalalea Anahola Farmers Hui
- Kauai Cattlemens Association
- Kauai Beekeepers Association
- Hawaii Tropical Fruit Growers Association
Rules & Regulations Info:
Mahalo to the support we’ve received from the County of Kaua‘i’s Office of Economic Development, the G.N. Wilcox Trust of the Bank of Hawaii Foundation, Blooming Prairie Foundation, Doc Buyers Fund of Hawaii Community Foundation, Agrilogic, and many more to offer this program!
WHY DO WE DO THIS?
Malama Kaua‘i has been supporting increased local food production for over a decade. In our 2017 Kaua‘i Farmer & Rancher Survey, minority farmers and ranchers expressed the most need and interest in support services to start or expand their farming operations. They are also highly underrepresented in the agriculture industry on Kaua‘i. The 2012 Ag Census reported that only 7% of Kaua’i’s Primary Farm Operators are native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander, with Asian being the most represented minority group at still only 22%. Our goal through this program is to begin correcting this underrepresentation, build equity and empower minority farmers and ranchers by connecting them with programs, services, education, networking, and opportunities for funding.