The Nonprofit Service Leadership Program is a 1-year program designed to develop leadership and management skills while serving the Kaua‘i community. You will provide leadership and mentoring to a team of 8 AmeriCorps Service Members, serving in various capacities on programs related to community sustainability, resilience, and food systems. Position works with and reports to the AmeriCorps Project Manager and the Executive Director. The program starts March 26th, 2019.
Connect AmeriCorps members to place and assist them in understanding service to Kaua‘i:
- Develop relevant training and orientation materials, and help new AmeriCorps Members settle into their communities and the culture of Kaua‘i
- Help to plan and conduct on-site orientation, team meetings, and professional development opportunities that teach local culture and values in an authentic and caring way
- Support the planning of ongoing team building and service opportunities for AmeriCorps members that connect them to local communities
Assist in the recruitment and onboarding of AmeriCorps members:
- Develop and implement strategies for local recruitment
- Promote opportunities through a variety of outreach methods including, but not limited to, newsletter, website, social media, online volunteer job boards, community networking, and in-person outreach
- Participate in the screening, interviewing, and selection process for new members
Collaborate with other VISTA Leaders within Hawai’i
- Communicate and collaborate with VISTA Leaders across state to support and elevate the larger VISTA community
- have 1-year of full-time national service experience (AmeriCorps, NCCC, or PeaceCorps)
- know how to have fun while working hard and balancing multiple priorities to reach goals
- be skilled with computers/Google Docs and enjoy administrative work.
- have a start-up attitude, self-motivation and drive to understand nonprofit management
- ties to Hawaii, multicultural experience, or Hawaiian language abilities are a huge plus!
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
AmeriCorps VISTA Leader is a year-long, full-time service opportunity through the Corporation for National & Community Service. You must be at least 18 and have AmeriCorps service experience to serve as a VISTA Leader. Program Benefits Include:
- Bi-Weekly Living Allowance of $733.18
- Choice of $1,800 End of Service Stipend or $6,095 Education Award (if you’ve received award 0-1 times)
- Healthcare Coverage, Relocation Allowance, Student Loan Forbearance, & Childcare Assistance
- Extensive training, networking, and professional development opportunities
AmeriCorps VISTA members receive a small subsistence allowance and should evaluate their financial situation to ensure that they are able to complete the full one-year term. The CNCS provides the living allowance to cover the cost of food, housing, and other basic necessities during service. The allowance is low because a VISTA member is expected to live at approximately the same economic level as the people they serve. You may attend school or have a part-time job during service, but will be expected to work on a full-time basis in this program.