We provide assistance with funding, technical and volunteer support for school gardens, school sustainability initiatives, local food in local schools. In addition, we offer schools curriculum, training, networking opportunities, and a resource-filled e-newsletter.
We also led Kaua‘iʻs 1st farm-to-school pilot, Māla‘ai Kula, at Kawaikini NCPCS and Ke Kula Niihau PCS to support the creation of culturally-relevant school garden and food program models serving Hawaiian keiki and youth.
In 2019, weʻve started a new initiative – Kaua‘i Farm-to-School Hui – to bring together stakeholders across the island to develop policies and projects needed to move farm-to-school efforts forward islandwide.
If you are a teacher or school administration seeking capacity-building assistance with a school garden or sustainability project, please contact the Farm-to-School Hui Project Manager, Joëll Edwards, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 828-0685 x23.
School Garden & Farm-to-School Resources:
Mālama Kaua‘i Resources:
- Kaua‘i School Garden Network Facebook Group: a great way to stay connected and get the latest real-time news on opportunities.
- Kaua‘i School Garden & Farm-to-School Hui e-Newsletter: stay up to date with this quarterly email newsletter that highlights various resources and opportunities for Kauai school & educators
- Kaua‘i School Garden Guide (Updated 2019): a how-to and best practices for planning and leading your school garden efforts.
- Natural Resources Career Pathway Guide (2015): A resource guide for Kauai educators, parents, and students offers over 40 community resource profiles offering assistance to students seeking future careers in the Natural Resources carer pathway. Offers listings of guest speakers and mentors, internship/volunteer opportunities, educational options, career pathway maps, and more.
- Kokua Hawai‘i Foundation: offers both Mini-Grants and Field Trip Grants for Hawai‘i schools.
- Seed Money: offers a crowdfunding platform with matching grant opportunities.
- Whole Kids Foundation: provides a variety of grants to support salad bars, bee hives, and gardens.
- Project Learning Tree: offering GreenWorks mini-grants to schools.
- National Farm-to-School Network: a massive online database of resources for farm-to-school efforts for all ages.
- Kōkua Hawai`i Foundation:`ĀINA in Schools, culturally-relevant K-6 curriculum on composting, nutrition, and gardens.
- Project Learning Tree: Offers GreenSchools Certification, and a variety of curriculum covering environment, energy, waste, and more.
- Bishop Museum Online Learning Center: digital educational resources in STEM, art, literacy, & culture for K-12, higher ed & informal ed.
- Green Living Project: “Students Connecting to Global Sustainability” uses multimedia and technology to bring sustainability to K-12.
- Kohala Center School Garden Curriculum Map: Extensive listing of various curriculum resources.
- Life Lab: A great mainland-based resource for a variety of curriculum, ECE to Grade 5.
- Farm to Keiki: Garden and nutrition curriculum for preschool/ECE.
School Garden Safety Resources: