We provide assistance with funding, technical and volunteer support for school gardens, school sustainability initiatives, local food in local schools. In addition, we offer schools curriculum, training, networking opportunities, and a resource-filled e-newsletter.
We also led Kaua‘iʻs 1st farm-to-school pilot, Māla‘ai Kula, at Kawaikini NCPCS and Ke Kula Niihau PCS to support the creation of culturally-relevant school garden and food program models serving Hawaiian keiki and youth.
In 2019, weʻve started a new initiative – Kaua‘i Farm-to-School Hui – to bring together stakeholders across the island to develop policies and projects needed to move farm-to-school efforts forward islandwide.
If you are a teacher or school administration seeking capacity-building assistance with a school garden or sustainability project, please contact the Farm-to-School Hui Project Manager, Joëll Edwards, at email@example.com or (808) 828-0685 x23.
School Garden & Farm-to-School Resources:
Mālama Kaua‘i Resources:
- Kaua‘i School Garden Network Facebook Group: a great way to stay connected and get the latest real-time news on opportunities
- Kaua‘i School Garden & Farm-to-School Hui e-Newsletter: stay up to date with this quarterly email newsletter that highlights various resources and opportunities for Kauai school & educators
- Kaua‘i School Garden Guide (Updated 2019): a how-to and best practices for planning and leading your school garden efforts
- Natural Resources Career Pathway Guide (2015): A resource guide for Kauai educators, parents, and students offers over 40 community resource profiles offering assistance to students seeking future careers in the Natural Resources carer pathway
- Webinar: Contracting with the DOE’s Aina Pono Farm-to-School Program for Farmers & Producers (2020): View this recorded webinar to learn about the program
- Webinar: DOE’s Garden-to-Cafeteria Pilot Program (2020): Learn about this new program to get school garden produce into meals!
- Kokua Hawai‘i Foundation: offers both Mini-Grants and Field Trip Grants
- Seed Money: offers a crowdfunding platform w/matching grants
- Whole Kids Foundation: variety of grants to support salad bars, bee hives, & gardens
- Project Learning Tree: offering GreenWorks mini-grants
- Annie’s: edible school gardens for youth
- Kids Gardening: multiple grants for schools gardens
- Green Education Foundation: youth garden grants
- Natures Path: grants for schools and communities
- Action for Healthy Kids: Grants to improve health in schools
- USDA: Farm to School Grants
- The Bee Cause Project: educational hives & curriculum
- Captain Planet Foundation: mini-grants for schools
- Every Kid Outdoors: grants for outdoor projects at schools
- Seed Savers Exchange: donates seeds for gardens
- Cornell Douglas Foundation: grants for environmental education
- National Wildlife Federation: provides free native tree seedlings
- Simply Organic: increasing access to healthy, organic foods
- Costco Wholesale: supports programs focusing on children, education & health and human services
- Atherton Family Foudnation: grants for projects in different areas for the people of Hawaii.
- The Lawrence Foundation: grants for schools
- Mitsubishi Coorporation Grants: supports sustainable projects
- Campbell Family Foundation: for non-profit organizations in different areas
- NEA Learning and Leadership Grant
- Laura Jane Musser Fund: supports communities in rural areas in Hawaii
- Hawaii Community Foundation: young Chirldren and Youth grants
- Fruit Tree Planting Foundation: donates orchards to communities, chools, low-iincome neighborhoods
- Earth Eco Water Challenge: supports service-learning programs at schools
- Renee’s Garden Seed Fundraiser for Schools: fundraising for your project
- Kinder Morgan Grant: supports programs with the focus on education, arts, and environment
- Environmental Education Grant
- National Education Association Student Achievement Grants
- Verizon Foundation Literacy and Education Grants
Subscribe to the newsletter to see upcoming grant possibilities!
- National Farm-to-School Network: a massive online database of resources for farm-to-school efforts for all ages.
- Kōkua Hawai`i Foundation:`ĀINA in Schools, culturally-relevant K-6 curriculum on composting, nutrition, and gardens.
- Project Learning Tree: Offers GreenSchools Certification, and a variety of curriculum covering environment, energy, waste, and more.
- Bishop Museum Online Learning Center: digital educational resources in STEM, art, literacy, & culture for K-12, higher ed & informal ed.
- Green Living Project: “Students Connecting to Global Sustainability” uses multimedia and technology to bring sustainability to K-12.
- Kohala Center School Garden Curriculum Map: Extensive listing of various curriculum resources.
- Life Lab: A great mainland-based resource for a variety of curriculum, ECE to Grade 5.
- Farm to Keiki: Garden and nutrition curriculum for preschool/ECE.
School Garden Safety Resources: