Mālama Kaua‘i is looking for a Garden Intern to support the development and maintenance of our Youth Garden, a self-sustaining garden for the children of Kaua‘i to learn and grow in. This role is primarily hands-on, and the intern will learn about horticulture and gardening, as well as outdoor education. Creativity is welcome, and the intern will have opportunities to contribute and execute project ideas. Duties include:
- General garden maintenance, including planting, weeding, plant care, and harvesting
- Various building and irrigation projects
- Developing lesson plans for an informal, field trip ‘curriculum’
- Support Farm and Youth Garden field trips and service projects with students
- Comfortable with and excited about working outside
- Experience working with children is a plus
- Local applicants must be 18+ and income eligible.
For income-eligible Kaua‘i residents of Hawaiian descent, the position is 6-8 weeks up to 40 hrs/ week at $10.10 per hour. _____________________________________
For off-island applicants, this position is available as an unpaid internship. Off-island applicants must be able to financially secure housing and travel on island (best fit for students who have a for-credit paid internship program through their school, internship scholarship/stipend, etc.) Hours per week are flexible within the timeframe of M-F 8a-4:30p.