The vision of the Youth Garden is to create a self-sustaining garden for the children of Kauai to learn and grow in. Malama Kauai Mini-interns, Jax & Bri, from Connect 5 Kids designed the layout and selected styles for all six plots within the living Lilikoi fence line that they envisioned.
Plot styles include:
- A mini plot focusing on indigenous styles of agriculture, featuring a luffa bamboo tower.
- Hawaiian garden including both native and canoe plant varieties.
- Trash-to-treasure patch that repurposes household items and furniture.
- A traditional row crop garden incorporating roots, tomatoes, beans, and other veggies.
- Flower garden, full of interesting tropical and cut flower types.
- Asian variety garden that maximises on the Hawaiian climate.
- A pollinator forest to attract butterflies, bees, and other pollinators.
Now is the time to build some momentum in the youth garden! In order to polish this project, Malama Kauai has several tasks we are ready to finish that include renovation, planning and cultivation of the existing and new mini plots within the garden, including:
- Designing and installing the new luffa tower.
- Weeding and planting the row crop garden, Hawaiian plot and others.
- Establishing the learning hale.
- Setting up the new flower plot and the Asian variety garden.
- Creating fun upcycled displays for the trash-to-treasure garden.
With more hands, the plans for this kids garden can transform into a permanent place of education, connection and growth! Contact Joe at firstname.lastname@example.org or (808) 828-0685 x19 for volunteer opportunities and information.